Pole holder selection.

Where can I get a good pole holder when I go out crappie fishing? How are they used?

Almost ever bait shop and outfitter will carry some sort of fishing pole or rod holder.  There are a couple of different types of holders.  Most of these are tailored for the fish you are trying to catch some are very simply holders and not much more than that of a tube of metal or PVC and others have a spring like look.  These rod holders don’t work well for crappie fishing because of the motion required to remove the rod from the holder.  They force you to move the rod in the same direction of the holder which is generally around 45 degrees in relation to the water and that motion is not so good for setting a hook in a sporting fish like crappie.  You really should consider a holder that holds the rod in such a way that the motion of removing it from the holder also sets the hook.

I call these a fulcrum or simple prop up holders.  The prop up holders are the equivalent of a perfectly chosen stick in the mud next to the bank of the body of water, so use your own judgment here and decide if the stick is worth the price.  The fulcrum type hold the pole through simple leverage and gravity they have some point of rest towards the front of the holder that the bottom of the  pole sits on and a point somewhere back from the center that holds the rod in place through leverage.  Thus through really cool engineering when you remove the pole from the holder it is a motion that should help set the hook.

Dan Eggertsen is a fellow crappie fishing enthusiast to the point of obsession. :) He's been providing solid advice on crappie fishing since 2004.

© 2008 Ask Crappie Fishing. All rights reserved. Sitemap
Proudly designed by TotalTreasureChest.